The civic remembrance day service is always very moving and this year will be particularly special as it is in the town centre. We'll be led by the Mayor and the CO of the 7 Rifles in remembering the sorrow of war.
Notes for Editors:
READING’S main annual Remembranceservice and parade will take place in the town centre this year, on , as we continue to mark the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of World War 1.
In previous years, the Town’s service, wreath laying and March Past have taken place within Brock Barracks, Oxford Road , but as this year is so significant the 7 Rifles felt that it would be appropriate to bring the service into Town, to enable more people to watch or take part.
The Remembrance event will comprise:
- Remembrance Service at Reading Minster at .
- March through the town, led by The Waterloo Band and Bugles of The Rifles, to Forbury Gardens, including a March Past at Market Place
- Remembrance Ceremony at the Forbury War Memorial, including the laying of wreaths and 2 minutes silence at
Lt Col James Bryant, the Commanding Officer of 7 RIFLES, highlighted the military support for the service, “We strongly support the Mayor's initiative to engage the wider public with Remembrance activities.”
Cllr Tony Jones, Mayor of Reading, said “Remembranceis an extremely important day for so many Reading people, whose loved ones have made – and continue to make – the supreme sacrifice in the service of their country. We hope that many people will join us for all or part of this Act of Remembrance in the town centre.”
Notes for Editors:
1: The following roads will be subject to closure at times betweento enable the Parade and Ceremony to take place:. St Marys Butts, Broad Street, The Forbury, Market Place; High Street; Abbots Walk
2. Local British Legion RemembranceServices will take place, as in previous years, in Caversham (War Memorial at Thameside Promenade) and Tilehurst (War Memorial at Tilehurst Triangle)
3. The Act of Remembrance will continue to take place at both the Forbury Memorial, and outside The Civic Centre, on Armistice Day,.
Reading Borough Council Press Releases can be found online at http://www.reading.gov.uk/