Council press release below. This is great news for a brilliant service
From: "Reading Borough Council" <email@example.com>
Date: May 13, 2013 10:18 AM
Subject: New Directions Clinches National Award
New Directions Clinches National Award
Reading Borough Council Press Release
THE QUALITY of the advice and support services provided by New Directions - Reading Borough Council's Learning and Employment Service - has been recognised nationally.
It has picked up the Matrix Standard for the work it does to support and advise clients on their choice of career.
The award follows a four-day inspection in February during which learners, staff, tutors, learning support assistants and volunteers were interviewed and New Directions' centres, policies, procedures and practice were examined.
Key strengths identified included:
• Partnerships and outreach work which was classed as 'reliable, supportive and flexible and provision tailored to need.'
• Case studies on the website www.newdirectionsreading.co.uk were good as they had a balance of inspirational and more normal journeys that relate to people's own experience and are not perceived as unobtainable.
• Staff were found to be committed to making a difference. The Senior Management Team ensures staff are competent, professional and properly qualified but in addition staff understand the need to achieve outcomes and progress.
• Health & Safety, Safeguarding and Equality and Diversity and the quality assurance of these was strong.
• Learner support is integrated across the whole organisation – Learners make good progress.
• The use of Learning Support Workers and Volunteers across the organisation was good.
• Performance management of staff was strong.
• Volunteers and learners have opportunities to contribute to the design and delivery of the service. Learner and staff voice is strong.
Lead Councillor for Education, John Ennis, said "I'm delighted that New Directions has maintained its high standards for giving good quality and impartial Information, Advice and Guidance. Also that services are consistent across the borough. This positive external judgement so soon after the positive Ofsted inspection confirms that the service continues to flourish".
Anyone needing assistance with their career or job search should visit http://www.newdirectionsreading.co.uk or call 0345 842 0012 so they can benefit from the services and courses on offer.
Notes for Editors:
Reading Borough Council Press Releases can be found online at http://www.reading.gov.uk/news/pressreleases/
Media Contact: Sally Moore
Tel: 0118 937 2944