Monday, 18 July 2011

The News International and the 'threat to our way of life'

UPDATE: Someone read this post (and commented) thinking that I agreed with Melanie Phillip's analysis.  Just to be clear I do not and by referring to her as having a 'moment of genius' I hoped it would be clear that I did not.  I've left the post up and published the comment that was left before I added this update

I haven't bothered with a blog post on News International.

This could be because I agree with Melanie Phillip's moment of genius that the real question is:  "If Miliband is such a hero, why won't he tackle the REAL threat to our way of life - the BBC?" *


Or it could be because I really don't have anything to say about it that hasn't been said by someone who actually knows something about it.

But lets face it it's a topic we apparently can't get enough of.  Now I'm going to suggest you take a look at this page.

I'm not suggesting that News International isn't important.  However I have seen barely any coverage of the unfolding disaster in East Africa on the news.  I'm not a total news junkie but I do watch the news, and I would have thought that maybe 5 minutes less on the news about the latest person-I've-never-heard-of-before-but-who-apparently-had-lunch-with-the-PM might be worth a news editor's consideration to cover a situation where a way of life and life itself is actually under threat. 

I have a confession to make - I only got round to donating yesterday.  If I'd had it in my face every time I switched on the news I would probably have made the effort to press a few buttons earlier.  That may make me a lesser person than the people who donated the £20m before I got off my bottom, but I bet there are more than a few others like me out there.  If you are one of them and you can afford to why not donate a few quid?




*If you don't want to read the whole thing it can be summed up that apparently the BBC are using their market share to attack Christian values with programs like Songs of Praise and painfully dull documentaries about church buildings.  Unlike p3 of the Sun I guess?